Board of Directors
The Gilbert & Sullivan Very Light Opera Company is an organization run by its membership. Once a year, at an Annual Meeting the company elects a volunteer Board of Directors from among its membership, to facilitate the production of the next show. Eight company members serve for a one-year term.
The members of the Board for the 2022 to 2023 season include:
|Labour Pool Coordinator:||Malka Key|
|Women’s Chorus Representative:||Mary Gregory|
|Men’s Chorus Representative:||Alexander Gerchak|
|Orchestra Representative:||Barb Hovey|
Board Member Duties
The duties of the various members of the Board may be summarized as follows:
- The Producer is the Board’s representative to the production staff.
- The Secretary handles company correspondence, keeps minutes and acts as company historian.
- The Treasurer handles money, collects dues and keeps financial records for the company.
- The Labour Pool Coordinator recruits workers to make materials and handle them at show time, including sets, props and costumes.
- The Publicity person plans and handles publicity for the company and manages correspondence with the news media.
- The Women’s Chorus Representative represents the female chorus to the Board.
- The Men’s Chorus Representative represents the male chorus to the Board.
- The Orchestra Representative represents the orchestra to the Board.
A simple majority of Board members must be present at a Board meeting to transact business.
“If you will be so good as to formulate a detailed list of your grievances in writing,
addressed to the Secretary of Utopia Limited, they will be laid before the Board,
in due course, at their next monthly meeting.”